These regulations apply to the use of computer facilities and network access given to students within the School of Civil and Resource Engineering.
All students who use the computer facilities are expected to visit this page for up-to-date information.
Some systems may have further regulations which apply to their use.
- The laboratory facilities may be used only for the tasks assigned in your course. They may not be used for unauthorised purposes, including work assigned by other schools in other courses, hobby computing, private consulting work, or the playing of computer games.
- An account is provided for the exclusive use of the person to whom it was given. The password must not be divulged to any other persons. You must take all reasonable steps to ensure the security of your account.
- Students are not permitted to interfere with the hardware or software provided in the labs. Under no circumstances is any software to be removed or installed on the computer systems.
- All facilities are shared between large numbers of students, therefore you must not:
- tamper with facilities in such a way as to impede their use by other students
- make too much noise in the laboratory
- use the computer facilities to send inappropriate messages
- disturb the other students using the laboratory in any other way.
- Any equipment faults, however minor, should be reported immediately to the IT Support email address.
- Eating, drinking and smoking are absolutely prohibited in all computer laboratories.
Any breach of these or any other conditions governing the use of the laboratory facilities may result in the accounts of the people involved being suspended or cancelled. The Head of School will be notified and further disciplinary action may be taken under University Statute 17, or criminal proceedings initiated as appropriate.